General Category > General Discussion

Solar panel Upgrade

(1/1)

Ed Criscuolo:
Well, after lusting after solar panels for several years, the deed is finally done, and Dolce Vita has two shiny new 100W panels mounted above her bimini!

I initially wanted to install an arch to provide a platform for mounting the panels, as well as consolidate all of the "clutter" that is mounted on the stern, but the $4000+ price was too much to swallow.  I figured that cash could be better spent on other projects.  So i designed and built a framework of SS tubing over, and independent of, the bimini and put the panels there.

Ron Harbin:
The addition looks great Ed.  I'd like to talk to you about your wiring etc. sometime.
I have been using solar for several years.  I started off with a rigid 65w panel that I mount on the cabin top between the mast and the traveler.  About a year ago, I got two flexible 50 watt panels that I lay on top of my bimini.  I have one small PWM controller for my 65 watt panel and another PWM controller for the two 50s.  Depending on the type of cruising I'm doing, I will use only the 65 or may use all three.  It's kind of a temporary setup since I still have yet to hard wire anything.  But the good news is that I can run a portable refrigerator and almost never let my batteries get under 12.6v. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version