Recent Posts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
General Discussion / Re: ICW 2016
« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on March 13, 2017, 09:23:27 am »
We stayed in Georgetown for almost 2 weeks, and rode out a 3-day front with winds up to 35kts.

Started back north on Friday, and spent 2 days off Lee Stocking Island, exploring the abandoned marine research station there. Kept looking over my shoulder for Velociraptors! ;)

Now anchored just east of little Farmers Cay.
« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on February 28, 2017, 07:44:22 am »
More change of plans. Based on available time, and skipped spots, we have decided to come back up the Exumas instead of going to the out islands.

We made it to Georgetown, our furthest point south and east on the whole trip!
N23 31.788'
W075 46.259'

It's cruisers regatta here, so there's over 300 boats in the harbor!! Activities every day. It's like a playground for adults! ;)

We plan to stay for a week or so, then start heading north.
« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on February 23, 2017, 10:59:42 am »
Since our December hiatus back north for Christmas, we've had a whirlwind of activity.  Too much to cover in detail here.  See the blogs:

http://sv-dolce-vita.blogspot.com/
http://bahamas2017.blogspot.com/

A quick summary:

Left Ft. Pierce on Dec 29
Got to Miami, spent 10 days in Oleta River Park waiting for a weather window to cross.
Crossed to Bimini Bahamas on Jan 19.
Spent 5 days in Bimini waiting for a front to pass.
Have been to the Berrys, Chub Cay, Nassau, Allen's Cay, Normans Cay, Shroud Cay, Warderwick Wells, Cambridge Cay, Big Majors Spot.
Had to run south 23 miles 2 days ago to get to a sheltered marina on Cave Cay to ride out a westerly.

Still having a great time!
General Discussion / Re: Sailmakers and canvas repair
« Last post by Philip Alman on December 29, 2016, 05:40:18 pm »
Thanks Ed.

I got estimates from several sailmakers and in the end chose north.  I'm sure they are all good quality but I liked having a rep nearby.  Next on my wish list is a gennaker.   Maybe later this summer.  May try to find a used one this time around.

Phil
« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on November 29, 2016, 01:22:24 pm »
We've had a change of plans.

Couldn't find a slip in Ft. Lauderdale to leave the boat for a couple of weeks.  Its their busy time of the year and everywhere is booked solid.

On a friend's recommendation, I checked here in Ft Pierce, and Harbortown Marina just happened to have a slip open up that very day, and their monthly rate was half of what it would have been in Lauderdale!  So, we scooped it up, and made airfare arrangements to fly home earlier than planned.  We will leave the boat this Thurs, Dec 1, and return after Christmas.

So, this ends the first phase of our trip. The numbers so far:

Days Enroute:       44
Distance Traveled: 1123 NM
ICW Mile Marker:   965 (Statute Miles from Norfolk)
Engine Hours:        179.3
Gasoline:               199.5 Gallons
Oil Changes:          3
Memories:              Priceless :)

In late December we will return, reprovision the boat, and head for Miami/Key Biscane and on to the Bahamas!
P-33 / P-33-2 keel separation
« Last post by David Kahn on November 25, 2016, 05:31:17 pm »
I hauled my new (to me) 1987 P 33-2 last weekend.  The power washer showed me a 1/4 inch separation on both sides of the rear keel-hull joint that he said looked like a problem.  The paint at the joint had cracked and the "smile" ran for about 1 1/2 feet on each side of the keel. clearly some flexing taking place.  it looked like there is sealant in the space between the keel and hull.

Others with P-33-2 experienced similar keel joint separation?  did you deal with it be dropping and rebidding the keel, or by using West 5200 or similar to fill the gap and then fairing and painting?

Any shared experience or thoughts welcome.  I want to do what is necessary for safety and peace of mind, but don't want to spend more than necessary to accomplish this.

David

« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on November 17, 2016, 10:42:30 pm »
Been quite a while since I updated this thread.

We're currently in Jacksonville FL!  Went "outside" from Charleston to St. Mary's inlet, skipping Georgia.

Planning to fly home soon for a week or two for the holidays, then come back to continue.
General Discussion / Re: Sailmakers and canvas repair
« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on November 17, 2016, 10:39:00 pm »
I've used North Sails in Eastport.  They're good but expensive.

There's a little canvas shop in Pasadena called Atlantic Canvas that has been doing my
sunbrella work recently.  Owner's name is Ashby.  Good work at a fair price.
General Discussion / Sailmakers and canvas repair
« Last post by Philip Alman on November 01, 2016, 08:21:06 am »
It's the end of the season. My main sail which is original to my boat Sanctuary P303 is looking like it is in need of a recut, however Owing to it's age I'm also considering replacing it.  Our dodger is also in need of repair work - seams and zipper.   Any recommendations on sailmakers and canvas shops for repair work?  We are in middle river.
« Last post by Ed Criscuolo on October 18, 2016, 10:00:48 pm »

How do I get your "follow by e-mail gadget"?

The "Follow by E-Mail gadget should appear in the right hand pane, under the profile area.

As for the trip so far, we've already had two equipment failures, which have each cost us a day.

I hope this is using up all of our bad karma at the beginning!

We're currently at Zanheisers, at Solomons Island, hoping to leave tomorrow for the Wicomico.

Full details on the blog: http://sv-dolce-vita.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9