General Category > General Discussion

ICW 2016

<< < (2/5) > >>

Ron Harbin:
I have spent a lot of time weighing the different alternatives for keeping batteries charged.  I have concluded that doing what you did is probably makes the most sense.  But it is one I have not yet opted for because of the expense.  I do have a new (older model) wind generator that I have never installed.  And I have 3 solar panels that I love and use regularly.  My P31-2 has a 16hp Yanmar with a 55 amp alternator.  Although the alternator only puts out about half that at normal motoring speeds, I do usually run the engine for at least an hour on most days and it does seem to give the batteries a pretty healthy charge - so I'm living with what I have for now.  Please let us know how you make out (engine load, battery charging, etc.).

Regarding the fridge, one of the things I did on my previous boat was to cut a piece of rigid foam that I covered with some shelf paper and just sat it on top of the ice box lid area.  It was very easy to do and almost doubled the time ice would last in the ice box.  Of course, it had to be moved every time you got in the ice box but there are many hours in a day and night that you don't need access. 

Ed Criscuolo:
Yes, we have had a sheet of 1" insulation that we place over the entire countertop where the icebox is for several years.  My wife stitched a felt cover for it to protect it and provide a better air-seal against the countertop.  It's amazing how cold the countertop is underneath it when we move it for access.

The one downside of it that we've found is that it tends to promote condensation on the countertop underneath it, which in turn swells the wood trim on the icebox lid, making it very hard to remove and replace.

Ed Criscuolo:
Well, only 6 weeks left till departure, and I'm busily trying to re-insulate our icebox/fridge from the inside.  I'd love to hear from anyone else who has done this approach.

Ed Criscuolo:
We're down to 12 days to departure, and I'm getting a bit frantic with preparations!

Icebox reinsulation project is complete and tested.  Not quite as big an improvement as I'd hoped, but still much better than it was.

I've started a blog to capture our trip preparations and progress:

http://sv-dolce-vita.blogspot.com/

We're planning on having a raftup on our first day out (Sat Oct 1) on the Rhode River, up in round bay over near the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC) property on the west side.  Would love to see some Pearsons there, so if you're free that weekend, hop in your boat and come on down!

Ron Harbin:
Ed and Joan
Here's wishing you safe travels, calm seas, and following winds.  I'm sure you ARE a bit anxious about your departure.  I'm sorry I won't be able to make the send off raft-up but I'm leaving for Kansas the day before (by car).  Thanks for the blog and the link.  I'll be following your travels.
Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version