General Category > General Discussion

ICW 2016

<< < (3/5) > >>

Ed Criscuolo:
Well, with three solid days of rain in the forecast, we've decided to
postpone our departure until Monday Oct 3. This will give us
one clear day (Sunday) to do the final loading of the boat.

There's no point in starting out with everything soaked!

At last check this morning, the Dismal Swamp Canal was still closed due to high water, although the Army Corp of Engineers did manage to get out the four boats that were trapped there since the closing.

http://www.waterwayguide.com/nav-alert/4-6549/dismal-swamp-canal-and-atlantic-intracoastal-south-of-great-bridge-closed-due-to-high-water-update

Ed Criscuolo:
Guys,

I'm becoming increasingly concerned about hurricane Matthew. Chris Parker's marine weather service (to which I subscribe), says that the track northward is very uncertain, and could encompass anything from a landfall in SC to missing the east coast entirely and grazing the west side of Bermuda.

As a result, he's recommending that boats in the Virginia and Delmarva region should seek secure locations by the evening of Wed Oct 5.

Since we're now planning on leaving on Monday Oct 3, our first three night's stops were looking like Galesville, Solomons, and Sandy point (off the Wicomico) on Wed.

But winds are predicted to be NE or NNE Wednesday, and this is bad for anchoring at Sandy point, as there is too much fetch to the NE.

I'm considering just holing up at Spring Cove in Solomons for a few days if this scenario looks likely, but also wonder if there are any good anchorages near Sandy Point that are protected on the NE. I looked at Ellyson Cove inside of Smith Point, but the entrance looks a little hairy.

I welcome suggestions or recommendations.

Ed Criscuolo:
Due to hurricane Matthew, we have postponed our departure.  Details on the Oct 2 post on the blog:

http://sv-dolce-vita.blogspot.com/

EDIT:

I just noticed that my trip blog didn't have the "Follow by Email" gadget on it.  No wonder my stats kept showing 0 followers! :eek:

I think I've fixed the template now and added the correct gadget.

Ed Criscuolo:
Its now 11 days past our planned departure date, and we're still stuck at our home dock. :(

First it was a cold front that delayed us a couple of days.

Then it was Matthew that held us off almost a whole week.

Finally, when we're "cleared for takeoff", our credit card gets hacked, and we have to wait another three days to get a replacement! And that's with extra-cost "expedited" service!

The promised card delivery was supposed to be yesterday. Can you guess? No card...

And now, both the Dismal Swamp and the Virginia Cut legs of the ICW are closed due to post-Matthew high water and damage! This trip is really getting off to poor start!

Hopefully, we're getting all of our bad karma out of the way now!  I hope so...

Bob Morrow:
Ed, I really feel bad for you and Joan. At this rate maybe my boat WILL be ready to
Go along with you, before you get the chance to start out. Bob Morrow

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version